Marriages in the 21st century face unique challenges, and couples make several common mistakes. Here are some of them:
- Lack of communication: Busy schedules and technology can make it easy for couples to neglect transmission, leading to misunderstandings and resentment.
- Unrealistic expectations: Social media and romanticized portrayals of relationships in the media can create unrealistic expectations for what a marriage should be like, leading to disappointment and frustration.
- Neglecting intimacy: With busy schedules and distractions, couples may neglect intimacy and physical affection, which can lead to emotional distance and dissatisfaction.
- Financial issues: Financial stress and disagreements over money can cause strain on a marriage, especially if there is a lack of communication and joint decision-making.
- Lack of boundaries: With technology making it easy to blur work and personal life, couples may struggle to set boundaries and prioritize time for each other.
To avoid these common mistakes, it’s essential for couples to prioritize communication, realistic expectations, intimacy, joint decision-making, and setting healthy boundaries. Seeking counselling or therapy can also be helpful in navigating the challenges of modern marriage.